Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 08:13:34 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

As Greg Lehey wrote:

> > Oh, Greg is going to take over maintenance of the FDC driver!
> > Congratulations! :-)
>
> Look carefully.  I'm just gathering information:

Pity.  Your way of gathering information without even knowing the
basics probably won't help much then.  (You were gathering information
about suspected FreeBSD driver problems, when there was somebody
telling you that he did have problems with the BIOS accessing the
drive.  You didn't even notice the difference.)

> > There's exactly one unexplained record open where 1 - 3 does fit, ...

> There are more now.

I still only have seen one.

> > Good luck for fixing these errors...
>
> Does this mean you don't want to maintain the driver any more?

You seemed to know more than me on it.

> I know that this is a pain.  Nobody says it isn't.  But it doesn't
> help to turn a blind eye to possible driver problems and blame them on
> the medium.

An FDC-reported ``CRC error in data field'' is just what the FDC is
telling me.  I don't see why you're blaming the driver for being
blind-eyed if it just believes what the FDC is telling.

--
cheers, J"org