Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:17:55 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@ca.sandia.gov>
To:        "Singh, Hardeep           IN" <singhh@delpo1.in.unisys.com>
Cc:        bmah@ca.sandia.gov, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tcpdump strange problem

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

I haven't seen anyone reply to this mail yet, despite this being
several days later, so I'll take a shot:

On Sat, Dec 12, 1998 at 01:24:00AM -0600, Singh, Hardeep           IN wrote:

> 3.I have installed  tcpdump and trafshow on my machine.
> Now when i run tcpdump or trafshow the following happens
>=20
> 1.All packets directed to and from my host are  shown
> 2.All packets for broadcast and multicast are shown e.g arp request and a=
rp
> replies
> 3.When I invoke tcpdump for viewing packets on some host celtics e.g
> >tcpdump -n host celtics
>  The reply is as >>>>
> Dec 11 21:56:11 Myhost /kernel:  de0: promiscuous mode enabled
> tcpdump:listening on de0
> /**
> Only
> arp packets for celtics are visible
> **/
> ^C    /* Aborting operation  */

Is it possible that your machine being used for packet capturing is
attached to an Ethernet switch?  That would produce results consistent
with what you're seeing.  An Ethernet switch will (unless configured
otherwise) only pass the packets destined for your machine's Ethernet
address, or broadcast or multicast packets.  If that's the case,
promiscuous mode on the network interface won't do you any good, since
the frames not addressed to your machine won't make it as far as its
network interface anyways.

Bruce.

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

--huq684BweRXVnRxX--