Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:29:15 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        <pea@andrewpea.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Running DOS program

> We have a multiuser DOS database application presently running on a Novell
v3.12
> server that we would like to move to a FreeBSD/ufs server running Samba.
>
> The company that makes the software said they have never tested the
application
> on any form of *NIX and that if we made the move we would be on our own as
far
> as hardware support went.
>
> Our question is does anyone know why moving this application wouldn't work
on a
> FreeBSD/Samba box? Is there anything special we should be aware of in
terms of
> setting user/group permissions, sticky bits, etc.?
>
> The reason for the move is we are running Novell servers, WindowsNT
servers and
> FreeBSD servers and its a pain to manage all of the assorted platforms. We
want
> to move everything to *nix boxes and standardize on FreeBSD. So far
everything
> we have moved to FreeBSD (various DOS, windows and foxpro apps) have
worked
> great. However this last application is the company's financial/property
> management program that the company pretty much runs on and management
needs
> to be reassured everything will work alright.

Wow, buddy, you and I are in the same boat.  I too manage a network where
the people use a DOS based File sharing database program.  We used to share
it off NT, but the company who wrote the software (I helped rewrited parts
of it, so I know them), they share it off Novel and others commonly.  I
said, hey, FreeBSD+Samba for maximum reliability.  It took a little time but
I switch us over no problem, and now our speed is much improved.  As for
your questions about permissions, just copy your DOS files into the share,
and then chown the whole thing to whatever your account will be, like
nobody, guest, whatever.  Other than that, Samba will keep track of
everything else.  If you really don't want to worry about it, you can, in
smb.conf, say Force Create Mode = 0777 or something to that effect.  Not
really needed, but it's there for you.  If you ever do run into such issues,
where your program acts funny and you think it's permissions, go to the root
of the share and

chmod -R 777 *
and
chown -R nobody:nobody *

I find that RARELY I actually have to do that when permissions get screwed
up.  But anyways, it works perfectly and much more reliably than NT4
(vomit).

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions you have about setting
this up.  Heck, if you were local to me, you could contract me to set it up
and train people on it :)