Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:09:04 -0800
From:      "Hervey Wilson" <herveyw@dynamic-cast.com>
To:        "Ryan Thompson" <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How much space for /usr ?

Ryan Thompson wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> > Like an earlier poster, I am a FreeBSD newbie in the process of
> > migrating my home server away from Linux.
>
> Great! Welcome to FreeBSD.
>
> > It's been an interesting experience, sometimes frustrating,
>
> If it wasn't a bit frustrating/challenging at times, it wouldn't be nearly
> as rewarding when you figure it out.

:) True. The more I dig in the more comfortable I feel about the switch from
Linux. There were some areas of the ports that I wasn't sure about, like
finding out when an installed port has changed, but then I found a little
script called 400.status-pkg...

So far, everything has gone very smoothly.

> Of course, you could always move /usr/ports to /home/ports.

Yep, I've symlinked /usr/ports to /home/ports.

My thanks to you and Philip Hallstrom for your advice !

Hervey.