Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:26:05 -0500
From:      Brad Guillory <round@baileylink.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adduser perm problem

As best I can tell all you have to do is chmod the /etc/skel directory.
When the directory is copied add user will then do this:
    system("chmod -R u+wrX,go-w $homedir");
    system("chown -R $name:$group $homedir");

so the default for /etc/skel is rwxr-xr-x
if you changed it to rwx------ or rwxr--r-- you will probably get what you
want.  The chmod mentioned above will not change the mode at all.

I hope that this helps.

BMG

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 12:10:56PM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, specter wrote:
>
> > Perhaps I am missing something, but under 4.0 and 4.1-Release,
> > when adding a user via adduser, I see the perms on the created
> > home directory as "drwxr-xr-x", allowing any one to cd in and
> > view files.
> >
> > Is this normal behavior, or have I oopsed something on my
> > system?
>
> This is normal system behavior on FreeBSD and most UNIX-like operating
> systems.  However, you can certainly imagine environments where you'd
> prefer an alternate home directory permission set, and it might be worth
> modifying adduser to support a command line argument (or configuration
> directive in adduser.conf) specifying a different permission set.
>
> I tend to create user home directories with the default open permissions,
> but also create public_html/ and private/ subdirectories, indicating that
> private material should be stored under the private directory.  This seems
> to work fairly well in practice.
>
>   Robert N M Watson
>
> robert@fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/
> PGP key fingerprint: AF B5 5F FF A6 4A 79 37  ED 5F 55 E9 58 04 6A B1
> TIS Labs at Network Associates, Safeport Network Services

    __O    |     Information wants to be free!     |     __O    Bike
  _-\<,_   |  FreeBSD:The Power to Serve (easily)  |   _-\<,_    to
 (_)/ (_)  | OpenBSD:The Power to Serve (securely) |  (_)/ (_)  Work