Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 08:45:39 -0400
From:      Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   cyrus imapd problems resolved..

I'm crossposting this to freebsd-stable since the people responsible for
this kind of thing usually are listening there...

Thanks to a little elbow grease and a thanks to retch, I have managed to
get cyrus running on my 3.5-Stable box.

For those that didn't see my post -questions, in short, I tried to get
cyrus up and running today but the sasl port was/is broken
(/usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl) which is required for authenticating
users.  It looks like the only problem with that is an incorrect MD5 hash.

In my headsmashing though, I uncovered some things to update both that
port, and /usr/ports/mail/cyrus as well to the latest version.. here are my
notes.. hopefully they fall into the hands of whoever is responsible.

Notes for /usr/ports/mail/cyrus :

./Makefile
   change version string to 1.6.24 (latest version).. always a good thing,
and as it is now fetch will try about five different servers until it finds
the old version.

./files/MD5 : Replace contents of file with : MD5
(cyrus-imapd-1.6.24.tar.gz) = 490a246e787581e0bbc558788ff5f562

--after fetch--

./work/cyrus-imapd-1.6.24/sieve/comparator.h: Add "#include <sys/types.h>"
before <regex.h> -- it's not included in the distribution for some reason,
and breaks on compile on this file without it.

Notes for /usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl

./files/MD5 : Replace contents of file with : MD5
(cyrus-sasl-1.5.24.tar.gz) = ac3837c071c258b80021325936db2583

Notes general.

After installation of the port, the user needs to run
/usr/local/sbin/saslpasswd to create an entry in the sasl password
database.  The user they create (just to get things going here) should also
have their name listed as an "admin" in imapd.conf.

The first run of saslpasswd will create /usr/local/etc/sasldb.db which must
be owned by cyrus:cyrus for auth to function.. so either saslpasswd must be
run after suing to cyrus, the file must be chowned after being run by
another user (which is what I did).

I only mention this because the Cyrus documentation REALLY SUCKS and it was
only after hours of scouring usenet that I came across this tidbit posted
in an OpenBSD newsgroup where someone else was having similar problems.

------prologue------

cyrus finally seems to be working for me.. at least it let's me auth and
mess around with cyradm which it wouldn't even do before.

On the down side, I still get this weird error whenever I use imtest to
check things out, although I think it may only be because I have not
created any mailboxes yet.  The error is...

S: C01 OK Unknown error: -1904809442

.. then after I have entered the password, then done '. logout'...

* BYE Unknown error: -1904809443
. OK Unknown error: -1904809442

I'll be checking that part out soon.. but hey, this is progress... hope
this helps some people.