Date:      Fri, 1 May 1998 17:53:29 -0500
From:      "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'bugtraq@netspace.org'" <bugtraq@netspace.org>
Subject:   Bug in 2.2.5/2.2.6 Install procedures.

Last week we overwrote a 2.2.5-R box with RedHat 5.0 to experiment.
Yesterday we attempted to revert to the original config by doing a
full, fresh install of 2.2.5.  Unfortunately, (the install kept
hanging after the probing completed, leaving only the cursor at the
bottom left of the screen (CGA).  Since I *know* this machine was
running 2.2.5 *last week* and it was running RedHat 5.0 *yesterday*,
I figured I had some kind of weird hardware problem.  To prove or
disprove the theory, I started doing the standard board swapping
bit.  No effect.  Then this morning, for no reason I can put my
finger on, I decided to look at the MBR directly.  Even tho it
should have been wiped out several times over, there was a perfect
RedHat written MBR!

It appears that the editor supplied with boot.flp chokes when it
is presented with an existing linux (or just Redhat?) disk.

After deleting the MBR, the install proceeded fine under both 2.2.5
and 2.2.6.

The disk is a Conner 1.6gb IDE, the slices were as follows:

/		50mb
/stand	20mb
/var 		30mb
/mtp		100mb
/usr		200mb
/local	1000mb   (*not* /usr/local)
swap		96mb

There was a little bit of space intentionally left on this drive.