Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 07:24:50 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@alcnet.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Team FreeBSD

G'day

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Brett Taylor wrote:

> How soon we will break rc5-64?  Using the most pessimistic view, another
> 15.3 years.  (at roughly the current rate)

actually the rate at which we are moving through the blocks in increasing.
Although we have been going for 608 days, at our current rate it would
have taken us 265 days to do the same. Assuming our rate doesn't actually
decrease (or increase) it will take us about 6.8 years to check the
remaining keyspace.

> Tangible timeframe ... long.  The point of the rc5 contests was to show
> that the encryption methods being used/limited by the US government were
> insufficient.  That's certainly been true w/ the DES stuff, but rc5-64 has
> been going for 1.7 years and they haven't even gotten through 10% of the
> keyspace with the equivalent of some hundreds of thousands of P100's (I
> think that's what they said somewhere - can't find the reference).  It
> seems to me that rc5-64 is pretty good.  :-)

it does seem that way sometimes. 42,590 participants active yesterday, 370
of them were brand new, although I know that most participants run more
than one computer, I have about 20 running the client.  However if our
rate of checking blocks keeps increasing due to more participants and
faster computers it may be a different story.

http://rc5stats.distributed.net/rc5-64/

> In any case, my science background makes me far more interested in doing a
> more "traditional" science experiment than cracking encrypted messages
> where I can work for years and maybe never do anything but pump out keys.
> In SETI, I might not find aliens, but I might find something else of
> scientific interest.

I was going to try this but am reluctant to swap over half way. To me it
is a little like changing aisles at the supermarket. Just as I change
lines the one I was in speeds up and the one I moved to slows down.

just my .02

Andrew Perry