Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 08:43:00 +0200
From:      Cynic <cynic@mail.cz>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   a quirk in the ports framework

Hi there,

I'm new to FreeBSD, and generaly speaking, I really like it
so far. However, a few minutes after a fresh install I found
a quirk in the ports framework. Since it's so well visible I'm
guessing it's by design, and would like to know what's behing
that... Or maybe it's really a bug, dunno.

The problem is simple: if an error occurrs during the install
of a port, the files that have been istalled so far are nor
deleted. And, because the install didn't finish, you can't
# make deinstall either. This is not so bad with small pieces
of software, but is a real PITA when you install something
large.

So my question is: is this on purpose, or is it a defficiency
in the framework? If it's by design, what is the reason?

TIA for any answers

cynic@mail.cz