Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:09:21 +0100
From:      Ollie Cook <ollie@uk.clara.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fxp0: cluster allocation failed, packet dropped!

We have a FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE server running a quite network intensive
application and are getting severe packet loss and these errors on the console:

  fxp0: cluster allocation failed, packet dropped!
  m_clalloc failed, consider increase NMBCLUSTERS value

I gave a value to NMBCLUSTERS in the kernel config of 4096 (it was previously
undefined), but upon rebooting with the new kernel the problem reoccurred.

  bash-2.05a$ /sbin/sysctl kern.ipc.nmbclusters
  kern.ipc.nmbclusters: 4096

I have reduced the amount of bandwidth the application is using, which has
stopped the error from appearing, but I would like to know how to fix this
issue, so the application can go back to using all the bandwidth available
to it.

As far as I can tell, it's a software issue rather than hardware issue with
the NIC in question, but have found no suggestions on how to remedy the situation
on the archives of this list, or google.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

Ollie

--
Oliver Cook    Systems Administrator, ClaraNET
ollie@uk.clara.net               020 7903 3065