Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:23:49 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        John DeStefano <deesto@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mask IP:port with Domain Name

John DeStefano wrote:
[ ...hitting return every 76 characters would be nice... ]
> My question is on what I assume to be IP masking. When someone punches in my
> domain name to reach the web site running on FBSD, their browser's address field
> (well, actually it's the DNS doing it) instantly translates the domain name into
> my actual IP address and port number. This is alarming for security reasons, as
> well as relatives who know nothing about technology asking inane questions about
> the disappearing web site name.

Um.  I consulted my magic eight ball, and it translated your question as:

] I'm trying to host a web site on a FreeBSD machine.  My registrar, godaddy,
] offers a redirect service which sends requests from "www.mydomain.com" to your
] FreeBSD machine, which possibly has a dynamic IP?

If so, have you set the hostname of the server via this section in your
httpd.conf file:

# 127.0.0.1 is the TCP/IP local loop-back address, often named localhost. Your
# machine always knows itself by this address. If you use Apache strictly for
# local testing and development, you may use 127.0.0.1 as the server name.
#
ServerName www.mydomain.com

Also, are you running apache on port 80, or is that being blocked by your ISP?

-Chuck