Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 18:21:44 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS in CURRENT

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> Man, I was as happy as a little kid when I just learned how to get BIND 4
> working from scratch, now I have to learn BIND 8... Ah well, Knowledge is
> Power =)

	The good news is that the zone file format is still the same.  The only
change is the named.conf file. There is a script to convert old
named.boot files to new named.conf file and as long as there are no
errors it should work just like that. There are also many efficiency and
other improvements in the new style, so it's a good change.

Doug

Handy upgrade guide:

1. Make good, reliable backups of your current configuration, store them
in more than one physical location and TEST to make sure that you can
actually recover with them. :)  That last step is often skipped by
people and you only find out that you're fubar at the worst possible
moment.

2. Make sure that your *current* configuration is working as it should
be. At minimum I open up two windows to the server, start 'tail -f
/var/log/named.log' in one and then shut the server down in the other. I
watch the log while it shuts down, then start it up and watch it again
to make sure that there are no errors. Once I'm convinced that things
are working as advertised I proceed. If I have to make any changes to
make things go I repeat step one.

3. Back up the current working binaries. First lesson on first day of
sysadmin school, make every change reversible.

4. Unpack the BIND source and read the installation documentation.

5. Compile and install that bad boy. :)

6. Convert your named.boot file to named.conf using the
src/bin/named/named-bootconf.pl script.

7. At this point I usually rotate the named logs so that I know I'll be
logging the new stuff in new logs but this is optional.

8. Make sure that you're watching the log in one window (tail -f above)
and then start up the new named in the other and with luck watch
everything work the way it should. :)

        At times BIND 8 will find bogons in your zone files that were
not a
problem for older versions of BIND 4. Underscores in host names are very
common errors that pop up after an upgrade, as are various problems with
CNAME's. You might want to give the html documentation for the config
file a look two or three times before you start it up. There are some
options you can tailor to increase named's efficiency based on your
particular needs. Several of those options were compile options with
BIND 4.