Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:09:17 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba shares timeout on windows mount

------=_NextPart_000_5500_2856_3f22

I have a litte SaMBa problem.
When Windows systems initially mount my servers' shares, they usually
timeout initially. These shares work perfectly after bootup once I tell
Windows to give up.

If the same Windows client had just mounted the share a few minuites prior
and reboots again to try to mount, it usually does not timeout. Fortunately
this means that the timeout doesn't happen often enough to be extremely
annoying since we all know how much Windows loves to reboot.

This occurs with Samba version 2.0x on Slackware Linux 7.1, FreeBSD 4.2 and
4.3beta. I have not tried any other platforms.

On both systems I compiled the code with both the usual
-O (or -O2) -pipe
   and with
-s -O3 -mpentiumpro -march=pentiumpro -malign-functions=4
-fexpensive-optimizations -malign-double -fschedule-insns2 -mwide-multiply
-funroll-loops -pipe

(not that I thought the code execution speed caused the problem, but just in
case)

Attached is my smb.conf file. It doesn't have anything particularly odd in
it, AFAIK.

The system hardware is:
P2-400 in Intel manufactured BX mobo
364MB RAM
Various Maxtor IDE UDMA2 hard drives and a Seagate Elite UW-SCSI drive as
the only device on an Adaptec 2940UW

I figured that this might be due to hard disk spin downs a la ACPI, but I
have ruled this out by disabling all powersaving features and listening to
the hard drives for the tell-tale spinup sound when mounting the drives.

All shares have this symptom (both on the SCSI drive and the IDE drives) and
it occurs with Windows 98(se) and Windows 2000. All systems can access the
drives perfectly after the initial bootup.

I have set up several Samba servers in the past and each and every one has
this symptom. Any help would be appreciated.

------=_NextPart_000_5500_2856_3f22

#Samba configuration file
#Do not edit unless you know what you are doing

[global]
	log level = 0
	socket options = SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192 TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
	read raw = yes
	write raw = yes
	status = no
	workgroup = ALTERNET
	netbios name = ICEWIND
	interfaces = xl1 192.168.128.1/24 127.0.0.1/24
	os level = 65
	preferred master = yes
	lm announce = no
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.128.
	hosts deny = ALL
	min passwd length = 8
	max log size = 1024
	read size = 32768

[MP3]
	comment = MP3s
	path = /shares/mp3
	read only = yes
	write list = sivar menox foran
	fake oplocks = yes
	oplocks = yes
	follow symlinks = no

[Data]
	comment = Programs and files that take lots of space
	path = /shares/data
	read only = no
	write list = sivar menox foran
#	valid users = sivar, foran, menox
	follow symlinks = no
	oplocks = yes

[Data2]
	comment = Other programs and files
	path = /shares/data2
	read only = no
	write list = sivar menox foran
	follow symlinks = no
	oplocks = yes

[Movies]
	comment = Movies
	path = /shares/movies
	read only = no
	follow symlinks = no
	oplocks = yes

[CD-ROM]
	available = no
	comment = CD-ROM share with Utility Disk
	path = /cdrom
	writable = no
	follow symlinks = no
	fake oplocks = yes