Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:30:08 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD bind performance in FreeBSD 7

So what?  Microsoft has used FreeBSD in the past for it's
DNS servers, and as far as I know still uses Linux or BSD for
the nameservers for their download sites (or rather, the
outsourcer they use doesen't use Windows for it's DNS) and
they have never had anything good to say about FreeBSD -
with the exception of the version 1 port of C# to it (which
they dropped in verison 2)  When Microsoft took over
Hotmail, Hotmail was completely running on FreeBSD and
several leaked internal documents showed many internal
Microsoft people were highly impressed by FreeBSD when
they got into it, but that didn't stop Microsoft from
publically castigating FreeBSD in it's online "how we
migrated Hotmail to the (superior) Windows platform"
whitepapers.

Apple's dependence on FreeBSD is legendary - yet Steve
Jobs has several times at MacWorld referred to Darwin as
based on Linux and that it's Linux-like, and similar to Linux,
all of which are baldfaced lies.  (At least, according
to the Apple website which credits FreeBSD here:
http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html)

The point here is there are MANY organizations that
publically beat the Linux bandwagon drum yet privately
don't use Linux as much as they use FreeBSD "internally"

This "study" of theirs on http://new.isc.org/proj/dnsperf/
is the proof of the pudding.  I also noticed according to
the testbed they are using HP Proliant DL140 G3 servers -
those servers use El-crappy Broadcom 5722 ethernet chips on
their motherboard, and the FreeBSD driver for these
chips is iffy - FreeBSD 6.1 in fact paniced when using
this chip family, as I documented in a PR for an HP Proliant
server.  And, HP supports and supplies the RedHat Linux
driver for this chipset for this server, and there's no
question that Gentoo uses the same driver.  I can
hardly think of a more unfair testbed that is more tilted
towards Linux than these servers.

But that's OK you continue rooting around in the FreeBSD 7
kernel all you want, don't bother actually looking at the
network hardware, we all know it doesen't matter.....NOT!

Consider also that ISC is 501(c)(3)  The money they
are spending on employing FreeBSD developers and hosting
ftp.freebsd.org isn't theirs.  It's donated to them
specifically to be used for these purposes.

> >> e.g. NSD
> >> (ports/dns/nsd) is a much faster and more scalable DNS server than BIND
> >> (because it is better optimized for the smaller set of features it
> >> supports).
> >>

> > When you make remarks like that it's no wonder ISC is in the business
> > of slamming FreeBSD.  People used to make the same claims about djbdns
> > but I noticed over the last few years they don't seem to be doing
> > that anymore.
>
> What, you mean "factual statements"?  NSD *is* faster, it *is* more
> scalable, it *does* support fewer features than BIND, and it *is* more
> optimized for those features (e.g. it tries to precompute DNS responses,
> which it can do because it doesn't support dynamic updates, etc).  The
> ISC devels acknowledge this.  BIND has architectural constraints from
> being a more complete DNS server solution.

You could have just as easily said "a more feature-lacking,
stripped-down nameserver like nsd is faster."  That's factual
too.  Your even doing it now; "architectural constraints?"
Look at the language the ISC uses to describe it's server:
http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/about/press/?pr=2007032700
I see "fastest version yet" not "slower than other nameservers"

Granted, neither group is making money on the nameserver
software, it's not like money is at stake here.  But, pride
is.

Ted