Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 23:40:55 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Eddie Fry <eddie@wicked.eaznet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh

Sue Blake wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 1998 at 07:24:36PM -0800, Studded wrote:
> > Eddie Fry wrote:
> > >
> > > Ok,
> > >
> > >  can't seem to find any documentation on how to move files between machines using ssh.
> >
> >       That's because you don't. You use scp (man scp for details). For future
> > reference, you want to check the mail archives for the -questions list
> > before asking simple questions like this.
> > http://www.freebsd.org/search.html
> > Also, you really should have asked this in freebsd-questions.
>
> So let's show the answer there too.

	Well, let's see. Yesterday I cross-posted an answer when I moved it to
another list and got ragged out by jordan. So, y'all work it out amongst
yourselves. :)  In all seriousness, I almost always do cross-post
answers to show the people on the "wrong" list that it's been answered,
but I didn't see the need to cross post an RTNM (Read the Nifty Manual
:) answer.

> But hang on, I've got another question :-)
>
> I went and searched and couldn't find the item in the archives.
> That's what usually happens when someone says to look there, so I mustn't
> have the hang of this thing yet.
>
> I was searching for "ssh and file and transfer" and "ssh and ftp".
> Yes I did read all the messages that came up, as well as the searching tips,
> but couldn't think of anything else to do.
>
> How would you have done this search?

	I almost always start with just two words, and I try to make them as
general as possible. Then as I pick up hints from skimming the answers I
make it more narrow. Also, globals are your friend. I probably would
have done something like 'ssh and file*' since that would cover things
like file[s,-transfer,etc.]. As it turns out, there was enough info in
that run to narrow it down further. These things are all covered in the
hints.

	One thing that isn't covered in the hints is something I've noticed
since after the crash. I seem to remember a post regarding changes in
the way the search engine works, which might account for it. My point is
that I've found lately that typing in phrases without joining the words
with conditionals works a lot better than it used to. In this case it
didn't really help, however when I was working on my cpu calibration
problem I typed in those 3 words, hit return and got the right answer in
the first 2 or 3 posts. :)

	The more you use the search engine the more you get a "feel" for it.
That's why I often encourage people to use it often. :)  One thing I
found helpful is to take a question that you know the answer to and try
to find it in the archives. Get a feel for what queries produce results
that are helpful to you. Of course it's not always going to have what
you need, but the fact that the original poster sent his question to
-isp was an indication to me that he hadn't done his homework.
Defecation occurs. Acknowledge, move on. :)

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest