Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 00:08:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        gsutter@pobox.com (Gregory Sutter)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction

Gregory S. Sutter recently uttered:
> I disagree with you.  The FSF doesn't oppose Open Source software
> any more than Linux opposes FreeBSD.

You OBVIOUSLY haven't read anything written by RMS, including most
of the political diatributes included with every piece of FSF code
you get.

I use, and appreciate, Emacs, GCC, GDB, etc., just as much as the
next guy, but Stallman's rantings about software hoarding are just
so much communist drivel.

I contribute, and often convince my employers to contribute, directly
to the creators of software like GCC, GDB, etc., and no longer
contribute to the FSF directly, because I do not support their
political agenda or their attacks on software distributed under
Berkeley-style copyrights.  Stallman has written at length in public
on the evils of the copyright and licensing scheme used by sendmail,
BIND, etc., which are virutally identical to the copyright and
license under which FreeBSD is distributed.

If you give O'Reilly $10 to give to the FSF, you are paying RMS and
his political hacks to attack the FreeBSD license model on any front
they can.

Brett hit this one on the nose: demand the right to direct where your
entry fee will go, or don't attend.  Tell your Linux friends, too.