Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 19:42:21 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        ip@mcc.ac.uk, mladavac@metropolitan.at (Ladavac Marino)
Cc:        ip@mcc.ac.uk, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Convincing people

At 16:38 27-05-1999 +0100, Ian Pallfreeman wrote:
How do
>you convince a person whos only experience of computers is Microslop software
>that you an operating system shouldn't crash unless there's some hardware
>problem? Or that just because a PC happily runs Win '95 that it doesn't mean
>it'll function as a high-volume mail hub or web cache?

How do you convince them? With great difficulty.

About two days ago I received email from a person who sells an Internet
marketing course (I participate in the associate program for this course).
Let me emphasize this person is no quack, is very intelligent, and offers
very good advice in the course.

Anyway, the message was about this great new free program called mailmerge
that this person wanted the associates to know about. I took a look at the
mailmerge website, and sent a reply to this person whom I highly respect
(seriously), in which I said: "But it's for Windows! Then again, if it were
for Unix, it would be nothing out of the ordinary."

I sent it off, and soon received a reply stating essentially: "I cannot
comment because I have no idea what Unix is."

So, I sent a very long message talking about Unix being around since 1970,
and being modular, and FreeBSD in particular being the ideal OS for the
Intel platform, powerful yet free, and Unix on a 386 running circles around
Windows on a Pentium, and how the Internet was created under and for Unix,
etc, etc, a really long detailed message.

Then I got a very short reply (except for quoting my entire message) saying
roughly: "I did not know Unix was an operating system. Sounds like it is
something we should all use. Unfortunately, Microsoft got to us first."

Again, this is a very intelligent person with many excellent ideas about
Internet marketing.

So, I repeat, you convince them with great difficulty. If you convince them
at all...

Adam
---
Want to design your own web counter?