Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 10:16:59 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I unformat a man page like /tmp/man.1?

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:04:52AM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr> writes:
>
> > On 2001-12-02 22:19:34, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> > > How to I do "man" on a out-of-place man page like /tmp/man.1?
> > >
> > >     groff -mandoc -Tlatin1 /tmp/man.1 | less
> >
> > I use a similar command:
> >
> > 	% nroff -mandoc man.1 | more
> >
> > > doesn't work as advertised in groff(1). It's not bad with some
> > > pages, but VERY bad for others.
> >
> > What problems do you have with the command you quoted?
> > On which manpages?
>
> This command
>
>     zcat  /usr/share/man/man5/named.conf.5.gz | nroff -mandoc  | less
>
> gives dozens of these lines with increasing line numbers (along with
> occasional spurts of good output):
>
>     mdoc warning: Empty input line #19

Yeah, I know.  New mdoc(7) does a very good job of notifying about bad
formatted manpages (on stderr), and this manpage is from contrib/bind
part of the CVS tree, and I have had patches for contrib/ and crypto/
for almost a year now (see attached).  Unfortunately, no one seems to
care much about submitting these patches back to the authors, except
for probably crypto/heimdal and crypto/kerberosIV.  Thanks Assar!

> The handful of other man pages I've tried it on look OK, except that
> about 5% of the lines end with a reverse-video "<AD>".
>
> The "nroff -mandoc" command gives the same results.
>
> This is in an xterm with $TERM = xterm-xf86-v32.

If you don't see this messy behavior with cons25 it's probably this
terminal's problem.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,