Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 15:19:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        eric@tek-shop.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pdf print server

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>I'm trying to set up a printer server for Mac, windows, and BSD clients to
>print to. In conjunction with our web server, I'd like users of the web site
>to click little buttons that tell the server to print a file (mostly pdf's).
>This seems easy enough with cgi/perl/shell scripts, but I don't know of a
>program that can decode and print a pdf besides Acrobat, which means I'd have
>to install linux base and X windows just to keep Acrobat happy.

>Anybody know of a simple command line program that can take a pdf and print
>it??

Ghostscript can be built without X11 (/usr/ports/print/ghostscript*-nox11)
and comes with a "pdf2ps" script.

Xpdf is a light-weight pdf viewer.  The port installs the command-line
tool "pdftops" which has no dependencies on X (you need X11 to build
the port, but I suppose you could build just the non-X11 bits by hand
if you are really desperate ;-).

  $.02,
  /Mikko
--