Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 13:35:50 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel adjustment for clock drift

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 20:09:50 +1000, Greg Black wrote:

> I have a machine that drifts about 7 seconds a day and I'd like to
> tweak something in the kernel to keep it closer to the truth.  The
> clock gets corrected once a day by ntpdate, but I'd like to avoid such
> big adjustments.

This is not a direct answer to the question you asked. :-)

Is it impossible for you to

	a) run ntpdate at more regular intervals

	or

	b) use ntpd, also in the base system?

Presumably you're talking about a frequently unconnected host using
automatic ppp?  If so, you could run ntpdate out of ppp.linkup.
Alternatively, you could run ntpd and set up ppp's dial and active
filters so that ntpd's synchronization attempts do not cause a dial
attempt nor keep an existing connection alive.

Ciao,
Sheldon.