Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:21:29 +1000
From:      Robert Benkhauser <robbenk@optusnet.com.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   init: getty repeating to quickly on /dev/ttyvs8

# uname -a
FreeBSD  4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #0: Mon Jan 28 14:31:56 GMT
2002     murray@builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
i386
#

Hello,

I'm getty the following error message on my near new installation of
FreeBSD 4.5 whenever I
boot.

        " init: getty repeating to quickly on /dev/ttyvs8"

I have X version 4.1.0 with xdm on and am using the XFWM window manager.

All seemed OK with xdm starting and allowing me to log on as root or
normal
user until installing PostgreSQL so perhaps this has something to do
with it.

As it it now I can still log on via the console (ignoring the messages)
and start
up
X as root using init.

I've searched the web for other instances of this problem and did see
one much
the same (though no mention of Postgres) but couldn't understand the
answer.

thanks and regards,

Rob.