Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 00:17:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeremy Karlson <carpathia@h24-76-76-76.vc.shawcable.net>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/28473: New Port: BlueJ 1.1.4

> Just checked your port, and it needs an X session to install. Yuck.
> Can't you automate the installation? Perhaps by extracting the JAR
> yourself? I also noted that during installation a JAR file is copied
> to /usr/local/. That's not the place for temporary files.

Yeah, it sucks.  I considered not submitting it.  I have tried unjarring
it try it by hand, but there is nothing helpful in there - it is all one
class, and that class extracts all of the other files from
within.  (Basically, they don't want people unjarring and doing it
themselves.)  Without getting really fancy with a decompiler, the
installer has to be run - so the X session is required.  So, I sort of
modeled this one after the StarOffice5 one, which has been around for a
while and needs similar things to happen.  I figured they've gone through
the headaches already.

Also, it doesn't "copy" a file to /usr/local/.  It just links there, and
runs it from that location.  That was the only way that I could get a
default install path in the installer of "/usr/local/" to make the port
simpler for the user.  I also tried fidding with some other stuff here,
such as "cd"ing to /usr/local/ and running the installer, but that didn't
work.  The only way I could get it to have a default install location of
/usr/local/ was to put it there and run it.  So I link instead.  The port
does remove the link when finished.

All in all, I agree, it's not a very nice port.  I am not an expert at
this (as you've probably guessed :-) ), so if you have any other
suggestions for things to try, I'm open to them.  Otherwise, I'm fresh
out.  (Trust me, I've tried everything I thought of before I submitted
it.)  :-)

Anyway, it's up to you - if you don't want it, that's fine too...  I
didn't spend more than a couple hours twiddling with it, so I won't be
heartbroken if you pitch it.  Or you could submit it, and perhaps someone
else will contact me with a better way.  I'm just attempting to "do my
part," and all that stuff.  :-)

Later,

Jeremy