Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:11:55 -0700
From:      "David Allen" <the.real.david.allen@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rc scripts

I need to an '-s' flag to the execution of openntpd's rc script:

   # PROVIDE: openntpd
   # REQUIRE: DAEMON
   # BEFORE:  LOGIN
   # KEYWORD: nojail

   . /etc/rc.subr

   name=openntpd
   rcvar=`set_rcvar`
   command=/usr/local/sbin/ntpd
   required_files=/usr/local/etc/ntpd.conf
   openntpd_enable=${openntpd_enable:-"NO"}
   load_rc_config $name
   run_rc_command "$1"

The problems I'm having are multiple.  First, the program doesn't offer
any logging, and running it with the "do not daemonize" switch with

   # /usr/local/sbin/ntpd -d 2>&1 > logfile

yields no output.

Then, I'm not sure I understand everything I'm reading in rc.subr(8), but
from trial error, I've discovered that modifying the script's "command"
variable doesn't work, nor does adding the usual "scriptname_flags"
directive to /etc/rc.conf.

Comments, questions and complaints all welcomed.