Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 16:55:40 -0400
From:      "Cribbins, Jason" <Jason.Cribbins@qwest.com>
To:        "Potts, Ross" <rpotts@harris.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Unable to boot 4.1.1

> Ah!  I forgot you mentioned that you have a Compaq.  I'm
> happy with mine, though

Well they are new to me.  And I am finding they are really good as long as
you don't try to get fancy with them.  They are best left as sold.

> I haven't set up a SCSI disk.  If you can, during bootup, you
> should have a

This model came with only SCSI HD

> prompt in the top right of the screen.  If you haven't set
> the IDE DRIVE to
> dangerously dedicated there should still be a bios
> partition(weird how Compaq
> did that).  Anyway, hit F10 and you should be able to get
> into the management

The 20GB IDE device in question was bought individually and previously used
and a nonbootable drive on a Win2k system.  The 520MB SCSI came with the
computer lost that partition long ago because I did try Dangerously
Dedicated at one or more attempts to install.  At that time I was trying to
use the IDE as boot device.  I am totally unable to find the correct Softpaq
(and keep my sanity).

> side of the machine.  disable the IDE, because I have a
> feeling that it will

I need it to boot from the IDE but only seems able to boot from SCSI and
only if no IDE is connected.  The onboard IDE seems to be disabled since
FDISK cant see it.  FDISK is able to see an IDE drive connected to my
Promise Ultra100 controller but cant see it unless I use the install
floppies.

> always try to boot from the IDE instead of SCSI(unless that's
> what you want.  How
> old is this Compaq, what model?  Softpaqs will do no good
> until you can
> successfully hit F10 and manage your bios partition.

It is a P90 and I don't know how old other than guess the time frame Compaq
might be using 90Mhz processors.  The softpaqs were support to install the
partition I need to display the F10 feature but every boot floppy I made
from all the Softpaqs I have tried so far state my hardware configuration is
not supported in that softpaq.

> Call Compaq, wait 30-40 minutes on the phone until you get
> ahold of someone and
> beg for a restore disk.  They will need your model, serial,
> next of kin, etc.

I have a serial # located on the back of the case but no model number was
found anywhere.  Unless it is inside.  The front only Compaq in red letters
(surprise surprise :)

> Personally, I have a Presario 4112(circa Apr 1996), with two
> sets of restore
> disks.
>
> You will have to bear with restoring all the way to Win 95 or
> what ever the
> machines original OS was, then remember NOT to use
> dangerously dedicated mode.
>
> One other thing, I for the longest, had the onboard video
> disabled so I could
> install a better one in Win 95.  When I stared to mess with
> FBSD (2.1.6), it
> would always report VGA0 and VGA1.  So, perhaps it may be
> setable in your floppy
> kernel(maybe not initial, but with the used of another
> machine you could build
> a custom install kernel to get around the IDE problem.
> That's what I did after
> I got all my system info the 4 millionth time.  I always put
> in a smaller custom
> kernel reflecting my machine when reloading my system from
> CD.  I'll look at all
> my old Compaq stuff tonight and bring some info to email to
> you tomorrow

Thanks