Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 16:49:53 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Miroslav Kes <mira@rockwell.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM changer, mount : Device not configured

Miroslav Kes wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have 5 Disc CD-ROM changer Nakamichi MJ-5.16 (SCSI) in my 2.2.2
> (Walnut Creek CD-ROM release) machine. The problem is that I cannot
> mount more than the first disc.
>
> He are my filesystem and SCSI entries in the kernel configuration file:

 [kernel config and dmesg snipped]

> If I later try to mount CDs I can successfully mount only the first one.
> Otherwise I get an error message "Device not configured"
>
> jean:/root# mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0c /cdrom/disc1
> jean:/root# mount_cd9660 /dev/cd1c /cdrom/disc2
> mount_cd9660: /dev/cd1c: Device not configured
> jean:/root#
>
> What does the message mean ??

That a CD changer is not supported this way. Just today preliminary
support for CD changers went into FreeBSD 3.0-current. 2.2.2R has not
support for interfacing a CD changer as multiple standard CD. What the
machine sees is a single drive and, if you're lucky, the changer
mechanism. You may be able to use raw SCSI commands to activate the
changer and mount/umount the disks manually, but other than that, or the
new code in 3.0-current, CD changers are not supported, at least AFAIK.

> How can I fix this ?
>
> Any idea is welcome.
>
> Mira
>
> --
> |                     Miroslav Kes                        |
> | Rockwell Automation Ltd.   | tel.:   (+420) 2 2425 6913 |
> | Research Center Prague     | fax:    (+420) 2 250467    |
> | Americka 22                | e-mail: mira@rockwell.cz   |
> | 120 00 Praha 2 - Vinohrady |                            |
> | Czech Republic             |                            |
Nadav