Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 01:14:07 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, jcwells@u.washington.edu (Jason C. Wells)
Cc:        fpawlak@execpc.com, drifter@stratos.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Jun 28,  5:05pm, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> Subject: Re: Does it's true?
> Jason C. Wells wrote:
> > I feel that a rag tag militia that has heart and the support of the
> > population is incredibly difficult to defeat. I have heard commanders of
> > the South East Asian theater make this statement.
>
> 	an insurgency supported by the local population against a
> 	visibly distinct opposing force is formidable, indeed.
> 	those characteristics do not and would not obtain in the USA.
>
> > I feel that an auto loading rifle is sufficient for the purpose of
> > opposing tyranny. This is a personal opinion.
>
> 	well, i beg to differ.  please speak to some veterans about
> 	arty and its affects on infantry.  (one hint: arty kills
> 	more infantry than *anything* else, sometimes more than all
> 	other weapons combined).

Until modern, read post Vietnam, arty was indeed the biggest killer on the
battle field, and absorbed the fewest casualties.  Will not get into tactics
but, infantry is vital except of carrier based airpower.

> 	alternatively talk to vietnam vets about the effects of
> 	repeated airstrikes on the survivors.  watch them whenever
> 	they hear a plane close overhead.  not a pretty sight.

Saved my ass amny times.  Not much of a problem here, except when somebody f'ed
up and shit was dropped on the friendlies.  The North Vietnam Air Force was a
lot like their navy.  No BFD.

> > >	what would it have availed the chinese students to have
> > >	small arms in tianamen (sp) square.  it would not have
> > >	forestalled action by the gov't.
> >
> > No it would not have forstalled the government. Here I will avoid
> > discussion (I am a proponent) of civil disobedience as an instrument of
> > power. Still, if the citizens of the nation of China were given the
> > weapons that the only the civilians of the US owns, there would be a shift
> > in power.
>
> 	yes, given sufficient number and external support, if they
> 	could survive that long.

No nation in their right mind would have intervened in that event.  The whole
world would have been a nuclear disaster.  End of story.

> 	i am not necessarily disagreeing with you, but rather believe
> 	that the odds are very long.  people that play long odds in war
> 	are called casualties.

Generally true.  However I could relate cases where the opposite was true.

Frank