Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:57:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        murray@freebsdmall.com (Murray Stokely)
Cc:        obrien@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3R/amd64 downloads

Murray Stokely wrote:
 > I'm interested in counting how many people have downloaded 5.3-RELEASE
 > for amd64 as opposed to i386.
 >
 > I'm willing to collate this information and post a report if
 > site-maintainers want to mail me the statistics for their respective
 > sites privately.
 >
 > Please send me :
 >
 > * the name of your FTP site.
 > * full disc1 or minidisc ISO downloads (complete, not
 >   just partial) for AMD64 vs i386.

That's a bit difficult.  Some clients download the ISO in
chunks (using the FTP "REST" command), which appear as
multiple partial transfers in the log.  The standard xfer-
log format doesn't contain enough information to reliably
tell those from aborted (incomplete) transfers.

Therefore, the following numbers might be incomplete.
This is from ftp7.de.freebsd.org:

    6   5.3-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso
    2   5.3-RELEASE-amd64-miniinst.iso
   85   5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
   43   5.3-RELEASE-i386-miniinst.iso

I also counted the downloads of the FTP-install directory
trees (only complete downloads of the "base" directory),
if that's useful for you, too.  That was 16 for i386 and
just 1 for amd64.

 > * The total number of bits transferred from the i386 and amd64
 >   directories.

Now that's easy.  :)

  8107655450   (7.6 GB)   releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/5.3
   125339795   (0.1 GB)   releases/amd64/5.3-RELEASE
157415499982 (146.6 GB)   releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/5.3
  2549880059   (2.4 GB)   releases/i386/5.3-RELEASE

Best regards
   Oliver

"... there are two ways of constructing a software design:  One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies and
the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no _obvious_
deficiencies."        -- C.A.R. Hoare, ACM Turing Award Lecture, 1980