Date:      18 Jul 2001 09:05:01 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [freebsd-questions] Mounting cdrom - failing

radhika_narendran@yahoo.com (Radhika Sambamurti) writes:

> I am trying to mount my cdrom drive and every time I give
> the command: mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a /cdrom
> it comes back with the error: cd9660: device not configured
> I also tried it with /dev/cd1a and /dev/cd1b.
> the mount for cdrom line is not present in my fstab file.
>
> Any help on this would be appreciated.

To start with:
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

The approach to your problem depends completely on what kind of CDROM
drive you have.  The device names you're trying are for SCSI CDROM
drives; if you have some other sort of drive (ATAPI are most common),
then the device names are definitely wrong.  Look at the dmesg(8)
output to see what the kernel recognized.

A typical cheap PC probably has a single ATAPI CDROM drive.  In that
case, the kernel will probably recognize it as acd0, and therefore you
would mount an ISO 9660 disk as acd0c.

Good luck.