Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:22:10 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: untarring a chicken I mean a file

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 03:33:11PM -0500, Michael Lucas wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 02:12:40PM -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> > I always have a phobia as to whether or not the tar file was bundled in
> > a single directory or whether or not it was hundreds of little files
> > without a (sub)directory. So even if I expand it in my home directory
> > I'll create a throwaway directory to expand it into something like this:
> >
> > % mkdir junk
> > % cd junk
> > % tar -xvzf ../tarfile.tgz
> >

> You can also check with the -t option.
>
> tar -tzvf tarfile.tgz will list the contents of a tarball, without
> extracting it.

But of course. Sometimes the listing output is simple enough that one
can easily visually verify files are not going to spray everywhere all
over your directory. But what the heck? If I want them extracted then I
want them extracted and can use them where ever they land as long as
they are separate from everything else so that clean up is easy.

My point being it doesn't much matter if the extracted data is one or
two subdirectories down. If it does matter than its trivial to mv it up
one or two.

Hmm. Wonder what would happen if ../ could be embedded into a file path
inside of a tar archive? Could make a worse mess for those who don't
expect it.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net