Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 08:39:50 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        kstewart@urx.com
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Strange conflict

Kent Stewart wrote:

> "Andresen,Jason R." wrote:
> >
> > Kent Stewart wrote:

> > > I've never seen that happen but that doesn't mean it can't. What about
> > > dma and i/o port addresses? The SB usually used something like dma 1,5
> > > and i/o 220 and 330.
> > >
> > > The only machine I have an old SB in is only setup to run Win2K
> > > Server.
> >
> > Well, for comparison:
> >
> > rl0: <RealTek 8139 10/100BaseTX> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem
> > 0xe6801000-0xe68010ff irq 11 at device 15.0 on pci0
> > rl0: Ethernet address: 00:48:54:85:63:3a
> > miibus0: <MII bus> on rl0
> > rlphy0: <RealTek internal media interface> on miibus0
> > rlphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
> > sbc0: <Soundblaster 16> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 on
> > isa0
> > sbc0: setting card to irq 5, drq 1, 5
> > pcm0: <SB DSP 4.13> on sbc0
> >
> > Annoyingly, I can't seem to find an conflict with either of the cards
> > over the entire dmesg output (as posted in my original post).  The
> > Realtek is a PCI card, so they aren't even close to the same address
> > space as the ISA SB, plus IIRC the RealTek is in some sort of horrible
> > PIO mode due to the braindead design of the chipset (that's what you get
> > for paying $5 for a NIC I guess).
>
> I would try Rick's approach and reserve IRQ for legacy.
>
> I had a 3C509 that I use for my DSL line have it's IRQ grabbed by an
> Adaptec Scsi card after I pulled on Intel 100+ NIC out. None of them
> were $5 cards :).

Unfortunatly, that didn't work.  I reserved IRQ 5 for the SB and its
symptoms are unchanged.  The cards work fine together in Windows, so it
isn't some sort of hard device conflict.

Is there any possible action for me to take, or am I going to have to go
out and buy a new NIC (I'm afraid to buy a new Soundcard until newpcm
settles down a little)?

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org