Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 13:56:32 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        "Matthew Koivisto" <mkoivist@nortelnetworks.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multiple kernels

On Wednesday February 07, 2001 13:32, Matthew Koivisto wrote:

> > Hi, I'm fairly new to freeBSD and I'm currently running a system
with
> freeBSD 4.1 - RELEASE. I would like to upgrade to freeBSD 4.2 -
> RELEASE but I would also like to keep my old 4.1 kernel around. Is it
> possible to use the kernel boot loader to run different kernel
> versions like this? Or is the kernel boot loader just for loading
> kernels built with different options and not versions?

You can load that kernel, but it will not work.  Basically you can't do
that.  In FreeBSD, the kernel is tightly integrated with the rest, and
must have the same version.  This is generally helpful and provides
much of FreeBSD's stability.
	If you have compiled something into your 4.1 kernel that you want,
then you'll have to put that into a new kernel config file for 4.2 and
recompile your kernel, if you want to use 4.2

					Tim
--

/""\
\  /