Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:09:57 -0400
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User PPP

Brian Somers wrote:

> > I've gotten User PPP set up on my 3.2-S machine. I have natd running so that I
> > can access the "outside world" from my windoze machine (connected by crossover
> > ethernet).
> > Runnin 'ppp -background' once works fine, but when I disconnect (using kill -1)
> > and then reconnect I can't get any packets to go out. I think its a routing
> > problem since 'netstat -r' takes about 5 minutes to show the routing tables, but
> > the table looks fine once it finally comes up. What am I doing wrong? And what
> > is the proper way to disconnect a background ppp process?
>
> You probably need the -dynamic switch to natd so that it picks up the
> IP number change (assuming you've got a dynamic IP).  This is
> assuming you want to continue doing things the painful way.
>
> The easy way is to use the -alias switch to ppp and do away with natd
> altogether.

I can't find anything about the -alias switch for ppp in the handbook
and the man page is a little cryptic. In short... I can't get it to
work. Help!

I disabled the natd/firewall stuff in the kernel and rc.conf, should I
have left that in? Where do I specify the aliasing rules for ppp -alias?
Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks,
Brandon
--