Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 17:49:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qcam/cqcam driver

On 4 Oct 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE> writes:
> > Just a question: has the Quickcam and ColorQuickcam (if there was any)
> > been removed from the kernel? And, if yes, for what reason?
>
> Yeah, they were nuked ages ago.
>
> OTOH, I always wanted one of those babies, and ISTR that Connectix has
> a free developer program where you can sign up to get tech specs and
> stuff. If somebody donates the eq I might hack up a KLD module :)

As far as I remeber it was under some pretty strict NDA because
of the compression scheme used by the cameras.  Quickcam is now
owned by Logitech and there aren't even any notes about a Linux
driver.

If you do want something that sort of works, there's some utilities
in the ports system that will talk to a quickcam bw/I/II as far
as the newer models (VC/pro) i'm not so sure they are supported.

How good is logitech at providing specifications for third party drivers?

Anyhow, the bt848 stuff kicks butt, why would you want to waste so
much CPU on a non-versitile parralell port thingy, than a bus mastering
PCI capture card that sells for about the same price? :)

-Alfred