Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:47:09 GMT
From:      "Lanny Baron" <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Igor Kulemzin <kulemzinn@mail.ru>, "Andrey Simonenko" <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cron exited on signal 11

Hello,
As was stated in previous mail, upon cvsup'ing and config'ing the kernel,
/var/log/messages shows cron dies. This is right after boot and with
4.3-STABLE

Jul 10 20:20:12 panda /kernel: pid 258 (cron), uid 0: exited on signal 11
(core dumped)

Here are the sizes of cron:

The box it died on:
lnb@panda:~$ ls -ld /usr/sbin/cron
 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  30392 Jul 10 11:33 /usr/sbin/cron

and another FreeBSD server on our LAN:

lnb@bsd:~$ ls -ld /usr/sbin/cron
 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  29560 Apr 25 20:05 /usr/sbin/cron

Giorgos Keramidas writes:

> Igor Kulemzin <kulemzinn@mail.ru> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I've try to use default crontab file and cron worked.
>>
>>   I've use this string only in my /etc/crontab:
>>
>>   00     12      *       *       1-5             sendmail -q
>
> This doesn't look right.  Not right, at all.
>
> The sixth field in my /etc/crontab is the username that the command is going
> to be run as.
>
>  1 3 * * * root periodic daily
>
>>   After commenting it out, cron worked.
>>
>>   How can i send bug report?
>>   What the gdb output or i should send cron.core?
>>   What the mail address or program I should use?
>
> If you can pin this down to some specific problem in cron when a user is not
> specified, then you could send patches by running send-pr(1).
>
>  % send-pr
>
> Even if you don't know a solution, send-pr(1) is the Right-Thing(TM) to do
> when you think you have discovered a bug.
>
> -giorgos

Lanny Baron
And he said, Let there be light,
and FreeBSD was created and he saw