Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:46:45 -0700
From:      Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>
To:        "Questions List FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Vinum/RAID questions.

--------------BBC4F7EDDBF1D7BA134B36DF

Good morning all!  Two quick vinum/RAID questions:

Question #1)  Is it possible to create a boot/install floppy that loads
vinum?  I have 2, 1.2 GB EIDE drives and would like to have them seen as
one for the install if this is possible.

We are intending to us the DPT PM3334UW/3 -
http://www.dpt.com/products/pm3334uw.html - in a FreeBSD server we going
to start building next week.  The DPT controller typically - what we
have done with Linux, NT and Novell installations - creates a RAID stack
(0, 0/1, 1, 5, etc.) that is managed by it's BIOS and them serves up the
stack to the OS as a single, contiguous drive (ie- RAID0 with 4, 4GB
drives; the OS only sees 1, 16GB drive).  DPT says that this works the
same way for BSD; I have no personal knowledge yet on this point.

Question #2)  Presuming that DPT will actually perform this way with
FreeBSD, am I better off letting the controller handle the RAID stack
(my hunch is, "Yes.", for performance reasons) in FreeBSD too, or should
I use "vinum".  I have no personal "vinum" experience as yet so needed
to ask.

BTW, the controller will/would be managing 5, 18.2GB UW SCSI drives in a
hot-swap RAID5 stack with 64MB ECC EDO RAM.

I am going to read through the man pages here in a moment; just wanted
to see if someone had some experience doing this as the man pages aren't
always the most current data source.

Thanks!

RAB

P.S.  BTW, FreeBSD 3.2, 4-CD/ROM set from Walnut Creek and this is an
Intel platform.

--------------BBC4F7EDDBF1D7BA134B36DF

begin:vcard
n:Bettle;Roy
tel;work:(949) 452-1203
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.criterion-group.com
org:Criterion Group, Inc.
version:2.1
email;internet:rbettle@criterion-group.com
title:President
note:Businesses that depend on computers, depend on us.
adr;quoted-printable:;;26895 Aliso Creek Road=0D=0ASuite B404;Aliso Viejo;CA;92656;USA
fn:Bettle, Roy
end:vcard