Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 1996 14:07:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Josh Emmons (skia)" <j-emmons@sjca.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PANIC!: unable to mount root

I have a computer with three IDE devices (UGH! I hate them, but they were
cheep...):
a Seagate 2gig hard drive.
a 8x CD-ROM
and a Conner 800Mb Hard disk.

The two gig is IDE DEVICE 0.  It is filled with my DOS stuff, so I added
the 800Mb one for Free BSD.  After tinkering around with it, I discovered
that the only way the insalation program would probe my CD-ROM was it I
had it as a slave on the first IDE port, so that became IDE DEVICE 1.
That leaves the Conner, which I've tried as both IDE DEVICE 2 and 3.

The installation seems to run fine.  It probes all the drives, sees them
all.  It works fine.  I set up a slice on the 800Mb drive and use the
correct geometry.  I have FreeBSD auto-generate the lables, select the
"X-User" distribution, and then commit.  After installation is finishe, I
reboot the machine and wait for Booteasy.  I the hit F5 to switc to the
other drive (the 800Mb one) and hit F1 for BSD.  It then gives me a boot:
prompt and I hit enter to use the defaults.  It probes and finds all my
drives.  Then it says something like "switching root system to WD1a" and
the line after that says: PANIC!: unable to mount root.
   It then auto-reboots the machine in 15 seconds.
   If I install on to IDE DEVICE 0 (the first hard drive that dos calls
C: ) everything seems to work fine.  It is supposed to be possable to run
BSD from a second drive, isn't it?

Thanks...
   j-emmons@sjca.edu

              Josh Emmons...j-emmons@sjca.edu