Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2008 02:58:15 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Max Russell" <thedossone@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount DVD - invalid argument

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:45:49 +0000, "Max Russell" <thedossone@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have two DVD drives on my machine.
>
> max@~: grep acd /var/run/dmesg.boot
> acd0: DVDR <PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D/1.19> at ata1-master UDMA66
> acd1: DMA limited to UDMA33, device found non-ATA66 cable
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Try to put an 80pol. ATA cable (intead of a 40pol.) one in.

> acd1: DVDROM <ASUS DVD-E616A2/1.03> at ata1-slave UDMA33
>
> the optical section of my fstab is like this:
>
> /dev/acd0 /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
> /dev/acd1 /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0

As it has been suggested, try to use a differentiated form for
your devices, such as

/dev/acd0 /writer cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/acd1 /dvd    cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0

> however, when I try and mount a DVD, I get the following:
>
> max@~: sudo mount_cd9660 -s 0 /dev/acd0 /cdrom
> mount_cd9660: /dev/acd0: Invalid argument

Your "new" command would be:

	# mount /writer

or

	# mount /dvd

according to the device.

If you put a media in, first check if it gets recognized
correctly.

	# cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 info

or

	# cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 info

If you prefer your DVD "not-writer" to be the default device
for reading CDs or DVDs (I do so, I use the writer only for
writing), you can set CDROM environment variable to that device
anbd you don't have to include the -f option anymore.

> I have been able to mount CDs.
>
> If I'm missing something really obvious, any help would be appreciated.

Defective media?

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany