Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 15:07:02 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Dom Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, justin@apple.com, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Esry Don-FDE005 <Don_Esry-FDE005@email.mot.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Volume managers (was: Separate boot partition?)

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 05:30:16PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday,  8 April 1999 at  8:52:24 +0100, Dom Mitchell wrote:
> > On 8 April 1999, Greg Lehey proclaimed:
> >> I can't see why not, since it's possible now.  What we still need to
> >> do is find a way to extend a file system, but that's a ufs issue
> >> (which has a solution), not a volume manager issue.
> >
> > What about shrinking an fs?  Is that feasible?  Possible?
>
> According to Kirk McKusick, no.

Another anecodotal aside, in AIX there was always someone asking for
this same functionality. Though Al Chang (author of IBM's JFS and VMM
in AIX) thought that it could be done, it would be quite difficult and
the risk of data loss would be very high. As far as I know, it was never
implemented.

Bob

--
Bob Willcox             The man who follows the crowd will usually get no
bob@luke.pmr.com        further than the crowd.  The man who walks alone is