Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 2009 08:47:43 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        scottl@freebsd.org, Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>, Kamigishi Rei <spambox@haruhiism.net>
Subject:   Re: RFC: ATA to CAM integration patch

--nextPart19173528.ozoyCsvDn6

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009, Kamigishi Rei wrote:
> Hello, hope you're having a nice day,
>
> Ulrich Sp=C3=B6rlein wrote:
> > I, personally, think this is not very good idea. People are used to
> > CAM-devices getting enumerated as da0, da1, etc. All the
> > documentation talks about ad0 for ATA and da0 (plus camcontrol) for
> > SCSI, USB, Firewire devices. We also have fd0 and cd0 and should
> > stick to two-letter-plus-number codes. So either make them all ad0
> > or da0. I'd vote for the latter, as that is what Linux is doing
> > (more or less) and people are already familiar with USB drives or
> > new SATA drives showing up as "SCSI drives, so they get the SCSI
> > names".
>
> This poses the question of daXX enumeration order. I've already had
> some 'fun' with an IBM server which has an LVD/320 SCSI controller.
> While the controller's bus was enumerated properly, somehow if you
> attach an USB mass storage device before the system boot that said
> mass storage could suddenly appear earlier than one of the SCSI disks
> (that was on 7.0-RELEASE) thus breaking the boot process sometimes
> (when it appeared as da0).

7.2 has UFSID in GENERIC so you can mount your disks that way which is=20
non-ambiguous.

Unfortunately you can't specify swap this way because it has no ID, I=20
don't know how hard it would be to add such a thing (which would=20
require a mkswap or somesuch, and modification to the dump & swap=20
code..)

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum