Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 23:11:33 +0100
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        dot@dotat.at
Subject:   using mtree as tripwire

I've been playing around with using mtree as a lightweight replacement
for tripwire, and it seems to work quite nicely. There are a few bits and
pieces: (1) a patch to make the -X exclude-file facility slightly more
flexible and easy-to-manage; (2) a script for creating the mtree spec
file containing all of the checksums; and (3) an /etc/periodic/security
script to do the mtree checksum comparison with reality.

I've parametrized (3) with a command for obtaining the spec file, for
people who keep it on a remote machine etc. so obviously (2) should have
a corresponding option. I suppose it could get it from periodic.conf
but that's a bit ugly since it isn't a periodic script. Does anyone have
any better ideas?

I'd also like to optionally run (2) as part of the installworld process,
and maybe include it as part of the standard distribution. I'm currently
keeping the file in /var/db/; I'm not sure whether or not that's better
than /etc/mtree/ -- it's over 7MB on my machine which is probably an
important consideration.

The patch to mtree and some of the scripts can be found at
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~fanf/FreeBSD/

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
SOUTH FITZROY: WESTERLY VEERING NORTHWESTERLY 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 AT FIRST.