Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 14:16:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        asura <asura@xs3.dyn.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Delayed boot and other junk...

On Wed, 20 May 1998, asura wrote:

> I'm sorry if this is a popular question and I do seem to remember
> reading somewhere about some of the causes of this, but no I'm stumped!
> I have two machines exhibiting the same symptoms- I have version 2.2.6
> with a custom kernel...theses problems weren't evident until after I
> played with /etc/ttys and installed more virtual terminals.  This
> machine boots and then takes a lifetime to load sendmail...after finally
> getting sendmail loaded, it proceeds until it reaches Local Package
> Initialization:  where it takes an even longer time...just sitting.
> Then some errors are reported, i don't have them verbatim (sorry) but
> they are socket command on non-socket and something to do with
> Getpeername errors...  The other machine has a fresh install of 2.2.6 on
> it and it's sendmail takes forever too.

Your DNS configuration is incorrect or your nameserver is down or
unreachable. You can hit Control-C to bypass the sticking program.  It
sounds like you're on via dialup, so the nameserver lookups will fail
until the link is brought up.  You can get around this by adding the
machine's name and IP to /etc/hosts, then changing /etc/host.conf to list
hosts before bind.