Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 19:53:54 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        eculp@webwizard.org.mx (Edwin Culp)
Cc:        ken@plutotech.com, croot@btp1da.phy.uni-bayreuth.de, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burn cd ?

Edwin Culp wrote...
> "Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:
>
> > Werner Griessl wrote...
> > > How can I burn cd's now in current/cam/elf ?
> > > I used the worm-device and team ("burncd.sh") before.
> > > Werner
> >
> > You have to use cdrecord.  Try the port:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.kdm.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam/cdrecord-1.6-cam.980709.tar.gz
> >
> > or a binary with the latest CAM fixes:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.kdm.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam/test/cdrecord-1.6.1a3.test

Okay, there are several things going on here:

> With a this morning's elf world, kernel and the above binary, I get
> p400:/usr/local/sbin # ./cdrecord.test dev=0,3,0  blank=all
> Cdrecord release 1.6.1a3 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jörg Schilling
> ./cdrecord.test: Undefined error: 0. WARNING: RR-scheduler not available,
> disabl
> ing.
> scsidev: '0,3,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 3 lun: 0
> ./cdrecord.test: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.

My guess is that one of the following is true:

- you haven't made the xpt or pass devices in /dev
- you don't have the passthrough device in your kernel config file

Please make sure that both of those devices are there, and that you've got
the passthrough device in your kernel.

Try typing:

./cdrecord.test -scanbus

You'll probably get a more verbose error message.

> with cdrecord 1.6.a12
>
> p400:/usr/local/sbin # /var/ftp/incoming/cdrecord dev=0,3,0 speed=2
> driver=mm >
> Cdrecord release 1.6a12 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jörg Schilling
> scsidev: '0,3,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 3 lun: 0
> /var/ftp/incoming/cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. Cannot get
> SCSI addr
> .
> /var/ftp/incoming/cdrecord: Cannot do inquiry for CD-Recorder.
> /var/ftp/incoming/cdrecord: Undefined error: 0. test unit ready: scsi
> sendcmd: f
> atal error
> cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s

You must be using a cdrecord binary build under the old SCSI subsystem.  It
won't work, the CAM SCSI passthrough interface is completely different.

> They will all work with an old kernel.

What worked with an old kernel?  How old of a kernel?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com