Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:40:46 -0600
From:      Aaron Siegel <aj@siegel-tech.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ccatanzaro@cox.net
Subject:   Re: quickquestion

> >On a larger scale can i am tired of constantly changing dirs to run
> >apps. can i adjust an environment variable to run programs from any
> >dir i am in, instead searching through everything. I installed a lot
> >of port software but can't seem to be able to run or find any of it.
>
> thats usually what /usr/local/bin and sbin are for (at least in my usage)
> since they are in your path, simply symlink your port after installing it
> into that directory.

I would not recommend Dave's solution. Freebsd stores it executable files in
three locations in the file system.

/bin /sbin  --- this is the location of system executables

/usr/sbin /usr/bin --- these are for application included in the FreeBSD
distribution

/usr/X11R6/bin  /usr/X11R6 --- these are for applications related to X  this
includes gnome and most window managers

/usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin --- these are for all other third party
applications

All of these directories should be included in your PATH environment variable.
To check the value of your PATH variable enter the following command:

	$ echo $PATH

You can add values to the PATH variable by:

	for bash, ksh, sh
	export PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6

	for csh tcsh
	setenv PATH $PATH:/usr/X11R6

These variables are set in your  ~/.profile files. I believe all you will need
to add to your PATH variable is /usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/X11R6/sbin.