Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 08:29:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Redundant connections from separate isp's possible?

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Peter Brezny wrote:

> We're a small web hosting company wanting to have multiple routes from
> separate isp's coming into the webservers from the outside so that if one
> connection goes down, the other connection can still reach the servers.
>
> Can this be done?  Is this possible with freebsd as the router?  Are there
> better options from cisco et. al.?
>
> I searched the -net mail list archives and found a lot about load balancing
> multiple servers so one didn't get overloaded, but that's not our problem.
> We want multiple load balanced connections from the internet into the same
> server/network.
>
> Can this be done with separate isp's? or am I asking for trouble?  we
> currently have a single t1 and are looking at a 2.5 mbit DSL line to
> augment/backup the t1.  of course a different provider means a different
> network range allocated to us.  And here is where things get fuzzy for me.
> What do i tell internic?...ns1 -->network range 1, ns2 -->network range 2
> and have the name server hold an IP from each isp's network range?
>
> Thanks for your comments/suggestions.
>
> Peter Brezny
> SysAdmin Services Inc.

	What you need to use is BGP (Border Gateway Protcol) which is a
	routing protocol used on the Internet Backbone.  It is used to
	handle routing across different autonomous systems (AS).  I do not
	recommend using FreebSD to do this, but it can using either gated
	or another routing daemon.

	You do not need to do anything with internic regarding your IP
	space.  However, using BGP is not an easy task and requires a lot
	of work with your upstream providers.  It is one of those things
	that if you screw up, the rest of the internet suffers (Which has
	happened before).

	For a reference ,check out "Internet Routing Architectures" by
	Halabi.  It is a great book and is pretty much the BIBLE when
	talking about BGP.

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.