Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 16:06:00 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.1.0 upgrade...

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 09:22:15AM -0400, Erik Rothwell wrote:
> a) remove the Mesa & FreeType ports
> b) ensure XFREE86_VERSION=4 is in make.conf
> c) cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 && make install clean
> d) reinstall Mesa & FreeType to re-satisfy dependencies?
>
> Or is my thinking flawed?

Slightly flawed, but not overly so.  We are working on an update
to XFree86 4.1.0 utilizing the individual ports, rather than the
XFree86 mondo port (since with XFREE86_VERSION=4, bento uses
the individual packages to build dependencies).

Once we're happy with this, we'll put in the update which in this
case involves disabling all freetype2 code from XFree86, and putting
in a dependency on the freetype2 port, solving a number of major
headaches.  In addition to this, the Mesa port will be modified
to split out the libglut stuff, and have that as another dependency,
giving a cohesive XFree86-4 build from a number of dependent
ports (imake, library, manual pages, docs, servers, fonts, etc.)

A new XFree86-4 port will then be built, essentially as a metaport
with a simple dialog configure script for the interactive case
(so that it is possible to bring in the whole kit and caboodle
if necessary), and anoter port in the non-interactive case providing
equivalent functionality to the current x11/XFree86-4 port, at
which point that will die.

This then gives us true dependency capability throughout the X11
system, at least for 4.x

I'd expect this to take around 2 weeks to complete sort out before
committing.  A number of people, including myself, are working on this.

Regards,
	-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			       ade@FreeBSD.org