Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:50:13 -0500
From:      thevapors <admin@reportz.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   silo overflow

I know everyone hates ppp questions and everyone asks ppp questions but
I have been trying to get this box on the net for quite a while, and now
I have the problem narrowed down.

When I try dial out with ppp it dials and starts the handshake and
everything, then at the last second when it should connect it doesnt.
So I checked the ppp.log file in /var/log and this is the part where Its
messing up I think:

Chat: Wait for (40): CONNECT
-then a few lines later stuff looks good untill it says:
Chat: Can't get (40).

----------------------------------

So I decided to try connect manually by typing term from the ppp
prompt.  This is what happends:

I type: atdt<my isps phone number>

It dials and starts talking and everything, then if I hit enter I get
like 5 lines of silo overflows.  This is what the silo overflow lines
look like:

Jan 23 23:44:01 myname /kernel: sio0: 1 more silo overflow (total 1)

Theres a few lines like that and the total at the end keeps going up
untill 3.

I would appreciate any help at all that I can get.  Any info at all that
you have please tell me.  I am trying to figure out what type of problem
this is.  My modem is a external 56k modem.  And its on com1.  So please
anyone who has any clues on what type of problem this is please email
me.  Even if you dont know how to fix the problem could you please tell
me what is causing the problem, like is it the modem, or the comport,
the irq?  Anything, I will be very greatfull.

Bill Rollins