Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 05:47:23 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jatupon Puttiviriyagon <badusenix@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use RPM on FreeBSD

Jatupon Puttiviriyagon <badusenix@yahoo.com> types:
>  I used to work on Linux (Redhat). Now I've changed to FreeBSD4.3 and I
> want to port some applications from Redhat to FreeBSD. What package do
> I need to install to port Redhat RPM to FreeBSD?

If the applications are available in source form, there's a fair
chance that they have already been ported. If you installed the ports
collection, look through /usr/ports. "make search KEY=stuff" is a good
way to find stuff in them. If they haven't been ported, you'd probably
be better off doing the port. If you then bundle that up as a port,
it can become your first contribution to the FreeBSD community.

If it hasn't been released in source form, then you want to enable the
linux ABI support and install the linux_base port.

First install the port by cd'ing to /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base
and doing "make install" as root. Then enable the linux ABI by doing
"kldload linux" and "/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig", also as
root. Finally, add "linux_enable=YES" to /etc/rc.conf so that the last
two things will be done when you reboot.

	<mike