Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 2014 08:29:01 -0700
From:      Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports requiring OpenSSL not honouring OpenSSL from ports

On Apr 27, 2014, at 8:08 AM, Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@dyslexicfish.net> =
wrote:

> Basically what I'm asking: Shouldn't a port that uses OpenSSL *always*
> build against the port if it's installed?

Yes, that is a reasonable expectation. I certainly had it in my head =
when I rebuilt Sendmail+TLS after heartbleed, but I didn't think of =
checking it.

> I realise this isn't always possible to test, especially if the port =
Makefile
> doesn't have any openSSL configuration options, but I'd like to hear
> others opinions on the matter.

It would be good to add such options to as many ports as possible if it =
can be done cleanly.

Also, note that this is not bashing on OpenSSL: given their new =
significant funding, I would certainly expect the OpenSSL project to be =
finding-and-fixing Heartbleed-level bugs repeatedly in the coming years. =
It is basically impossible to fix such a bug without bad actors being =
able to determine and exploit some of the fixes in unpatched systems.

--Paul Hoffman=