Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 15:50:48 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To:        "Park, No Il" <No.Il.Park@kla-tencor.com>
Cc:        "'Doug White '" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Lexmark 1100 Printer problem

On Thu, 05 Aug 1999 at 21:39:34 -0700, Park, No Il wrote:
> Thanks about your answer. But I did that already. I say my problem
> again.  I made kernel for printer following the procedure on book,
> 'The Complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey' and Man page about 'ppc,ppbus'
> My configuration of printer is (ver. 3.2 of FreeBSD) :
> device ppc0 at isa? port? tty  irq 7
> controller ppbus0
> lpt0 at ppbus?
>
> I checked  these ones on the dmesg after booting the system.
>
> Tried to test printer with lptest like 'lptest > /dev/lpt0'
> Printer made big noise and hang-up.
> On the screen showed like :
> #>lptest > /dev/lpt0

[snip..]
> Usually, Symptom is
> -Do not working anything.
> -Working but no output and Head of printer is moving withine small
> length at right edge side. Also No feed paper out.
>
> I am tired to set up printer with FreeBSD. Pls Tell me what is
> solution or document to solve this problem.

Get a printer that will work with FreeBSD.  I originally had a Lexmark
1100 and experienced the same problems you're seeing.. then I found
out 1000 & 2000 series (IIRC) only run under Windows 95/98.  Some
models don't even run under NT.  I took it back and got a Canon
BJC-4310SP and it works fine.

Btw, supposedly (at least according to the sales drone at the store)
there's a Linux driver for the 1100 on their web site.  I didn't look,
so I have no idea whether such an animal exists or not.  It was just
easier for me to trade it in on the Canon :-)

--
- Jim Mock - jim@blues.ghis.net - systems administrator - ghis.NET -
- work: http://www.ghis.net/ - personal: http://www.ghis.net/~jim/ -