Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2014 23:32:07 -0700
From:      LuKreme <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [SOLVED] Re: Issues with postmaster after freebsd-update

On 13 Feb 2014, at 16:39 , LuKreme <kremels@kreme.com> wrote:
> I was running FreeBSD 8-2 and used freebsd-update to update:

OK, so final resolution:

I reran freebsd update from the start and was still having problems. I =
made a couple of mistakes along the way (php55 and gcc49 seemed to be =
the most egregious of these) and finally got into a situation where the =
reasonable solution seemed to be:

postmaster --list-origins (for reference)
pkg_delete -a
rm -r /var/db/pgk/*=20

and just reinstall the ports I need. I=92m sure I have some binaries and =
libraries lying around that are not referenced in any ports that are =
installed, but honestly I don=92t think there=92s that many. Just =
compiling mysql-client and server and apache24 covered 90% of what was =
needed.

As it turned out, this solved quite a few little problems (like for some =
reason a hebrew spelling package kept getting installed).

Now, of course, the next step is to move up from 8.4-RELEASE before it =
reaches EOL (which I think is next year in June?).

Hopefully that will go a lot smother.

Any recommendation on what I should move to? 9.2 is what I was thinking =
since I know 10 has a *lot* of changes (no more bind, for one).

--=20
Real magic is the hand around the bandsaw, the thrown spark in the
powder keg, the dimension-warp linking you straight into the heart of a
star, the flaming sword that burns all the way to the pommel. --Moving
Pictures